Today’s infantry soldiers increasingly depend on multiple batteries to power weapons, communications devices and GPS equipment. Typical energy storage requirements for the platoon leader include eight different types of batteries. Advancements in ultracapacitor technology can reduce battery weight carried by soldiers by enabling the use of field chargeable devices. Military applications of ultracapacitors include:
- aunmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs),
- long endurance intelligence & surveillance platforms,
- low voltage power devices powered by energy harvesting sources,
- unattended remote sensors
- burst communication devices
- UPS and auxiliary power units.
The military market is less sensitive to price and places more demands on performance, that’s why the military market is poised for earlier technology adoption, says a new market study Ultracapacitor Market Forecast 2015-2020.